[nagdu] Going to Jail

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sat Oct 16 16:07:43 UTC 2010

Marion,

We recently had this question asked by a GDF grad who wished to visit a
relative in prison and the prison officials were telling him that he could
not bring his dog.

I spoke with DOJ and they noted that unless it was a federal facility,
prisons fell under Title II, state and local government, regulations. Since
these regulations use the same definitions for service animal and access
with a service  animal, the facility must, if requested, make an effort to
accommodate the person and his dog, unless the usual caveats apply that you
have already stated.

I don't know how this case turned out as the person didn't let us know, but
the information was relayed to the prison officials.

I have visited several prisons in the New York system when doing some
writing about the Puppies Behind Bars program. My husband and I had our
guide dogs in several areas of Fishkill Men's Correctional Facility and
Bedford Hills Women's Correctional Facility with no problems. We were always
escorted by prison staff, PBB program volunteers or PBB program inmates and
at no time did I feel unsafe or as if my dog was causing any undo
disruption.

In fact, seeing the effect raising these puppies had on especially the male
inmates, was very profound for me. These people took their job of raising
that well-socialized obedient and willing guide dog very seriously and
really got more from the unconditional love the dogs gave them than they put
in.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com