[nagdu] RE Update on Jail Situation

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 19:55:52 UTC 2010

Way to go, Marsha!

Congratulations on being so persistent, and on enlisting powerful friends to
back you.

You wouldn't accept unreasonable treatment when it's so often easier to
defend others than to stand up for oneself.

You've already raised your classmates' awareness; they'd want to be
independent in your shoes,rather than be led by someone else.  And you've
gotten politicians and your college interested in removing barriers to your
education.  I hope that the initiative, drive, and self-determination you've
shown get you a mentor or two eager to further your future goals.

I, too, think that you can be a good model for the prisoners.  I've often
wondered how much crime stems from feelings of frustration and defeat in
someone who has seen no alternative but to swallow indignity.  You have
treated yourself with respect, have done so gracefully, and have rallied
others to your cause.  To me, such behavior is fundamental to being a free
person.  If you can somehow, someday, tell your story to the inmates, or to
other prisoners later on, maybe they'll begin to think of themselves
differently and follow your example.

Keep going.

Elizabeth