[nagdu] buffets

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 18:42:45 UTC 2010

I have to go through buffet-like food lines everyday at the cafiteria
on campus.  Brie and I have learned how to manage pretty well.  Of
course, I usually have one of my friends with me to tell me what the
food is and help me carry things if I need help, but I usually carry
everything on my own.  I put her leash over my shoulder, which gives
her enough room to walk at my side as I go through the lines.  If I
can get a chance to put my tray down as I am moving, I can sort of use
Brie to tell me if I can move ahead in line.  She will either refuse
to move if I try and walk, or I hold on to the harness handle, and she
moves when the people in line move.  We are working on this one
because she has a tendency to find me a spot in line that is ahead of
everyone else.  Lol!  The funniest thing about this is that no one
says anything about it.

I have also worked on targetting my purse and back pack, so that when
we are done getting food, she can find where I put it at the table.
That has been really really useful.  I still need help getting food
though, and I would recommend if you have to go to a buffet on a
regular basis getting to know the people who work there.  They will
probably be more than willing to help you.  I have made good friends
with some of the people who work in the cafiteria.  This makes things
easier for me if I am trying to get food in a hurry.

I have found that it takes a lot of trust to really give control over
to the dog in an environment with so many temptations, but it isn't
too hard to work through.  I think the people distractions are worse
than the food distractions in the cafiteria for Brie.  I hope this
helps.