[nagdu] Re product reviews: nail trimmers

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 19:25:19 UTC 2010

HI List,

I'm intrigued to read about nail grinders.

My Alvin is terrified to have his nails clipped by my very gentle vet.  His
school thinks he must have been quicked as a puppy.  It takes me and a
couple of technicians to hold this 90lb bundle of joy and hear his pitiful
cries as his nails are clipped, and the sweat pours down my face (and tears
well in my eyes) as we do this.

I'd give anything to groom Alvin's nails without this torture.

But, after seven guides, I've never been trained to shorten my own dog's
nails.

I have tried once or twice to use a commercial Emory board on the sharper
tips, and Alvin tolerates this for a minute or two (all of my dogs have been
fascinated by my own Emory boards), but this isn't an effective technique
for getting the  job done, it's only a way to get Alvin to allow his nails
to be touched.

How did those of you who use grinders get your dogs to tolerate these
instruments?  Weren't they afraid of the motor?  Is there any risk of injury
to fingers or paws?

How did you introduce the grinder to your dog?

How do you know how much nail to grind at any one time?  How do you get a
uniform length (I don't want to disrupt Alvin's balance by throwing off the
weight distribution of his foot).

How often do you trim?

What's the best technique?

Is it best to start with a less powerful grinder, say the Pedi-Paws, and
then graduate to something more powerful?

Is diet a factor in nail growth?  Do grain-free diets produce a nail that
yields more pliantly to the pavement?

Thanks for your comments.

Alvin will love you for them.

Elizabeth