[nagdu] Cab drivers in DC pass blind people with guide dogs

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 5 09:13:04 UTC 2010

I am pretty confident that, if a similar study were done in Tampa, the
results would be very different. Merry and I have worked very hard
"educating" the cab companies. (smile) For those who are unaware, this
"education" took the form of several criminal cases against individual
cabbies in which the taxi companies asserted the drivers were independent
contractors over which the companies had no control. It wasn't until the
owners found themselves facing charges of discrimination themselves that
effective changes were made! As I said, if this were done in Tampa, there
would be pretty high compliance, I believe. Now, getting the public transit
company to comply with their responsibilities, that's a different story!

Fraternally yours,
Marion