[nagdu] Reasonable Accommodation?

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Sep 5 11:48:00 UTC 2010

Tami,

My opinion from what I know, is that you are correct.  A letter outlining
the issue and your request for accommodations should be sufficient.  The FHA
states that you must have fair enjoyment of your home, not equal access.
That's why emotional support animals are allowed.  Anyhow, if it were me,
I'd send the letter requiring signature confirmation so they can't pretend
they didn't get it.  I'd also include something that until the backyard
complies with the terms of your agreed upon contract you will need to
exercise Mitsy in the front yard.   Perhaps that will inspire them to work
harder at fulfilling their end of the bargain, if they are really that upset
at the idea of you using your front yard.

I'm not sure about the specific circumstances of your living arrangement or
the local leash laws, but here you can have your dog off leash in your own
yard fence or no fence.  that doesn't violate the leash laws.  It's only
when the untrained beasts see me and my dog and take off running and leave
their yard that it becomes a legal issue. *smile*

Best of luck,
Julie