[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Reasonable Accommodation?

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 02:40:59 UTC 2010

How about contacting corporate NFB about this? They have in the past
helped with cases that hve gone from bad to worse. Remember the
lawsuit with the baby being taken away from the parents because they
were blind?

I think this situation warrants investigation. If they are treating
you differently because you are blind and so they think they can take
advantage of you, that is a blindness-related discrimination. As you
are saying that injuries have been caused int he past, make sure you
make note of that. Injuries to your person or that of your service
dogs is *not* acceptable, but neither is not being able to exercise
them!

I strongly and heartitly urge you to call NFB Corporate or at least
your State President. It is imperative that you do this, show them
that it is a problem, and tell them what you hvve told us, that they
are treating you badly because you are blind and insisting that the
only regression you can get is through GDB or the OCB. That's
absolutely and totally ridiculous! This sounds like a lawsuit, and a
pricey one (for the park manager and leasor)! This is no small claims
lawsuit at this point, but a full blow criminal discrimination
lawsuit. I implore you to take this to your state president or NFB
Corporate as soon as possible and gain their advice and support. this
is not a problem for one person and two service animals. This is a
case for an entire Federation!

Please do get help, and I wish you all the luck in the world.

On 9/7/10, Tamara Smith-Kinney <tamara.8024 at comcast.net> wrote:
> True about the land ownership.  However, the property owner (via the
> management company via the park manager) is responsible for maintaining the
> property they own according to certain safety standards.  Which they are not
> in the back yard.
>
> So we cannot use the back yard -- which we fenced off for the dogs according
> to the rules and all that, with proper approval and everything -- without
> risk of injury.  In fact, I have been getting micro-injuries on an almost
> daily basis.  I have gotten at least two major injuries that are running up
> my medical bills.  Again.  They should have done the work back there before
> we moved in to live up to their legal and contractual obligations, but they
> did not, so that's a problem.  There is also risk of physical injury to the
> dogs themselves, and that has happened, just nothing really serious yet.
>
> The front yard -- or side yard, I guess, to be more accurate -- is entirely
> different and is not unsafe for me or for Mitzi except that there is not a
> barrier between her and the street...  It's not a wild and crazy street, and
> her boundary training is solid and her increasing maturity is increasing her
> reliability.  I still have to remind her when she gets a yen to bound
> joyfully out of bounds, but she stops and comes back.  Whew.
>
> So the front/side yard is the option for me to meet my dog's need for
> exercise and my own need for exercise with the least potential to either of
> us.  I would prefer a fully fenced area for that, since she is then
> completely safe from being able to dash into the street at exactly the wrong
> time and get hit by some bozo speeding through without care for speed bumps,
> children or poodles.
>
> Since the owners of the property we rent have not lived up to their
> legal/contractual responsibilities, I need adjust of the rules so that I can
> live in my home on the property I rent -- making it effectively my own front
> yard -- because of their, well, lawbreaking, which has increased my medical
> expenses and threatens the career of my guide if she happens to break a leg.
> The life of Daisy, in fact, if she breaks her remaining front leg out there.
> Which is a problem, too, because she is not trained or socialized as Mitzi
> is to run and play elsewhere, except in the house.  I do make sure to play
> with her indoors as much as I can and get her running and having fun --
> which means loud barking for her! -- but there is a limit to what I can do
> outdoors with her.  I do keep working on her recall and "quiet" out there,
> but it is difficult because I can't walk around.  The bright side is that
> she has now worn a trail we can both use, although it is still iffy for me
> to walk to her to get her attention since I have to use my careful walk...
> And if I walk off the trail, then that hurts.
>
> Okay, I'm getting too analytical and going nuts with the details...
> [...]

~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!
Treasure Chest for the Blind: http://blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com