[nagdu] Italian greyhound guide dog?

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 13:31:13 UTC 2010

I don't think it is too fortunate that we are trapped in a society which is
so hypercritical...

It's possible the news reporter doesn't know what he/she is talking about
and the breed is listed wrong.  I'm sure that this man loves and cares for
his dog and is aware of the needs of the breed.  I know of folks in the New
Orleans area who work full-sized greyhounds as guides, and they're doing
just fine.

The article stated that the dog was wearing a blue harness, so it probably
isn't leather, and he's probably not wearing the dog ragged.

It's not fare to criticize and scrutinize someone who has no chance to
defend himself or his situation.  Before large breed dogs were commonly used
as guides, there were small terriers doing the work in a different fashion.
As long as the dog is safely completing its tasks, whether he or she is or
isn't a large dog, we need to step back and hold our tongues.  There are
small seizure alert dogs who don't get stepped on.  There are small hearing
dogs etc.  I'm sure he looks out for and caders to the well-being of his
dog, regardless of the program he went through.  I do understand that
pulling in a harness is harder on the body than alerting to sounds etc, but
again, I'm sure he's taken that into consideration.

Just my thoughts, and you can cast them aside if you choose.

Meghan