[nagdu] Cab drivers in DC pass blind people with guide dogs

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:52:39 UTC 2010

I was talking to a driver for the company I usually use for
non-scheduled (non-paratransit) trips. His company, Cardinal Cabs, has
never given me or anyone I know any trouble with accessibility. We
discussed the guide dog issue and what he would suggest as an
alternative for taxi drivers who genuinely cannot have a dog in their
cab, such as someone who is severely allergic. He made the comment
that he is severely allergic to dogs himself (what coincidence!), and
the last exposure he had (with medicine even) sent him intot he
hospital. The company he works for informed him he could not refuse a
customer with a service animal, but did offer a special accommodation
that I thik would be a good special accommodation for Muslims also.
All taxis have to have some way of speaking to headquarters, so if
they come across someone with a dog but can't (for religious or
medical reasons) take the dog into their taxi, they can call HQ and
request another cab be sent to this person ASAP. The cab driver who
spotted the person would be responsible for stopping and letting the
service dog owner of the situation and give them both the HQ phone
number and the employee numbers of himself and the cab driver who was
assigned to serve this person.

We must remember that we are not the only disabled people out there.
Taxi drivers can also be disabled with severe allergies, and I think
it is important to give accommodation for religious reasons. America
is the land of the free, and that means everyone, not just some.
Muslims are entitled to their religious opinions, but that doesn't
mean they should leave that person without transportation.

What do you guys think of this solution? As I said, this is a solution
currently being used by a cab driver in Raleigh, NC who is severely
allergic to dogs. He said that most cab drivers in the area are more
aware of the needs of the disabled because of the fact that our
paratransit system is contracted to taxis rather than buses. I tend to
agree. I also thinkn more cities should employ taxi drivers as
paratransit service providers as Raleigh does.

I'd love to hear what you all have to add to this!

On 9/7/10, Robert Stigile <rstigile at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello Marion and All,
> There has been a lot of discussion on this list, about taxi cab
> drivers in DC.
> This last Washington Seminar, I had my first experience of a
> driver, in a long time, that thought you needed to pay a fee for
> having the dog in the cab.
> He even went as far as trying to tell me, that the sign on the
> back window, told you how much extra it will be for the dog.
> I finally gave up trying to explain to him, that there should not
> be a extra charge, and said, well, if you are so inclined to
> charge an extra fee, then I guess I will have to take it out of
> your tip.
> He backed off at that point, and when we got out of the vehicle,
> I had someone read him the sign, of which it said, there is no
> extra charge for service animals.
> Here in my area, specifically the San Fernando Valley, a suburb
> of Los Angeles, we really do not have issues, because I have
> filed several complaints with the Department of Transportation,
> as well as our Division, CAGDU, has worked very hard, around the
> state, to inform the agencies that oversee the taxi cab
> companies, that it is our right to travel with a service animal,
> and because of the work we have done, a lot of the issues have
> disappeared.
> Once in a while, there will be a driver who thinks, he can get a
> way with not picking you up, but the dispatchers can tell when
> the driver is doing that, and they will suspend them, I have
> actually heard them over the radio or while on the phone, telling
> a driver they will need to bring their cab in, due to their
> behavior towards a blind person.
> So, it may be tedious for a while, but you have to file
> complaints.
> I hope this helps,
>

> Robert Stigile
> E-mail: rstigile at sbcglobal.net
> Skype: robertstigile1

~Jewel
Check out my blog about accessibility for the blind!
Treasure Chest for the Blind: http://blindtreasurechest.blogspot.com