[nagdu] Cab drivers in DC pass blind people with guide dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Sep 9 12:38:01 UTC 2010

Good points, Rebecca.

Well, in some places in the world where there is a guide dog movement,
that's the idea. I mean the idea is I'll do my best to encourage other
people that a guide dog's a great option, but we don't want to force anyone
in to accepting us.
I was corresponding with a lady from Denmark who was at one time involved in
their guide dog association.
Basically there there is no legal obligation to take you, any more.
Restaurants used to have a legal obligation to provide access to guide dogs
but not any more and the guide dog movement seemed to have no problem with
this.
They want good will.
Hell, so do I--smile.
But what if all the restaurants there decide they don't want guide dogs?

Cabs are also a sticky problem there.
You can refuse someone for allergies, but of course, if there's a problem
the blind person doesn't have any recourse, all up to the will of the
business owner.
Lovely.
Sweden is worse, apparently.
If you look at their site, which I have in a fit of self-flagellation, they
love bragging about how well trained their dogs are but meanwhile, for
example, people with allergies can tell you to leave an establishment.
Some train lines have cars, is that what you call it, compartments, where
dogs can be excluded.
When you go to a doctor, your dog remains in the waiting room.
Apparently it doesn't occurr to anyone that you might need your hound to get
around back in the examining area.
After all, our rights are subject to good will.
I can, therefore think of a great way for them to engender good will, don't
have dogs.

Not sure what I'd do if I had to live in a place like that, since I'm used
to the way of doing things here.
I imagine if I were originally from these places, I'd think it's all right
and maybe Americans are too pushy--smile.

But, if you want to make something inconvenient, you certainly can and all
this bending over backwards sounds like it's getting pretty inconvenient to
have a dog.
All I can say is that it's a great means of mobility, because otherwise any
person with normal self-respect wouldn't deal with this stuff.
Life is a trade-off, right?

Dan