[nagdu] Leashes

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Sep 19 15:22:32 UTC 2010

Jewel,

Most/all?  guide dog programs issue an adjustable leash that has clips on
both ends.  it can be made shorter or longer by clipping the snap to D rings
at different places on the leash. typically for guiding the leash is folded
in half, one snap on the dogs collar and the other attached to the D ring
next to the collar snap.  Usually for relieving purposes the leash is made
longer by unclipping the snap on the D ring and attaching it to another D
ring toward the end of the leash to make a loop handle at the end, similar
to a standard dog leash.  Of course widths and lengths vary, along with
material and sometimes the configuration of the leash varies a bit.

I only use a retractable leash for exercise in an area that isn't fenced and
where I don't feel comfortable letting Monty run off leash.   the
retractable leash handles are pretty bulky and it would be difficult to hold
it and the guide handle comfortably for very long.

I have never seen a guide dog type of leash in a regular pet store, although
I have heard of others who have found them in their local stores.  J&J dog
supply has a nice leather guide dog leash.  I have heard rumors that it is
what GDB puppy raisers are given.  Bridgeport has a longer leather guide dog
leash, I believe that one has several lengths it can be adjusted to, like
over the shoulder etc.  Pawpower Creations has them too in nylon, and you
could get whatever length you wanted.

HTH
Julie