[nagdu] Traveling Advice

Joyce Pratt jcp54 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 20:16:51 UTC 2010

Kolby,

I have only had my guide dog for a year and she has been on four round trip
airplane rides...so that is eight flights.  Security cannot take your dog
through...you cannot be separated from your dog.   If they ask if they
can...I always say NO Thank You.   I make Kia lay down just before the
security archway and then I go through myself...then I call her through and
they just pet and rub her as they check her...she loves that part!!  You do
NOT have to take the harness or any of her/his equipment off.  We have had
NO problems with this process...they all love the experience with the dog.

Some suggestions from my experience:

1.  Like Cindy said: relieve your dog as close to take off time as possible.
When you get to the gate, let the gate attendant know that 45 min before
boarding, you would like assistance to take the dog out (They are held by
law here).  If you are traveling with someone...leave ALL your carry on, etc
with them and only take your passport ID with you.   All airports I have
been to so far...the relief area is BACK through security....you will have
to pass through them again after relieving your dog...but since you will
have an assistant...it usually goes a lot faster than when you initially
came through.  I always take direct flights, so have no experience with
layovers.  SIT IN THE BULKHEAD  seats.  There is much more room for your
legs and the dog.  Ask when you check-in to be sure they put you there.

2. I pack my dog's regular dry food in zip lock bags and it is all measured
out for each meal.  That would be 2 baggies for each day.  I pack that in
the luggage

3. Snacks: I do bring some small dog biscuits and give the dog one, once and
awhile.

4. Water: I limit the water prior to flight time and ask for a cup of ice.
I give the dog a few ice cubes from time to time, to keep her hydrated.

5. I always take the harness off during the flight to keep the dog comfy. I
was told NOT to put it in overhead, but next to me between the seat and the
window (That is if you have a window seat.  Luggage could move around up top
and damage your harness..that would be awful!

6. Hotel: Ask at the front desk if there is a particular areas CLOSE that
you should use for a dog relief area.   If not, I have my hubby scout an
areas out for me.  After we get into our hotel room, I make a dry run to
that area with my hubby following, so I can become familiar with how to get
there.  If hubby was not there , I may have to ask the front desk OR bell
person to help me.  I Always tie a plastic doggie bag on the door of my
hotel to help me identify the room..I have a little vision.   I will now add
to that bag....a treat, to help the dog find our room.  Some dogs are good
at this...some not....

Like someone else said....try to keep to a regular schedule as much as
possible.

Most of all:  HAVE FUN!  Don't worry...if something happens..it happens.. be
prepared with a doggie bag in your pocket.  Another tip I learned, but have
NOT had to use it: carry a large absorbent feminine napkin in your
purse...this would work great to absorb a #1 accident.

My anxiety is when we get off the plane...it takes so much time to get off,
walk to baggage claim, wait for your luggage and get outside.  As soon as we
get outside, I find a corner or a parking spot to let Kia relieve herself.
Phew...then we can both relax.

OK...think I blabbered enough already...ha ha
Hope this helps.

Joyce Cass Pratt and
Seeing Eye Guide KIA!