[nagdu] airlines, bulkheads and who needs to know?

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Wed Sep 29 15:55:28 UTC 2010

All,

As often happens when meaningful and serious discussions begin someone
becomes offended and someone often speaks out with a bit of a sharper tongue
than they realized.  Please do not become disenchanted nor angry, but do
respect the opinions expressed as valid even if they aren't yours.

For my part I refuse to sit in a bulkhead row as I regard it as a safety
hazard.  Flight attendants spend their briefing time at take-off telling
passengers in bulkhead rows not to leave purses and personal items on the
floors of their rows during take-off and landing.  They do this for a very
good reason.  Objects can fly around as a result of unexpected aircraft
movement.

During the flight turbulents also can cause things to fly around.  However,
the briefers do not concern themselves with this.

I have been on flights where turbulents during the flight and/or violent
movement during take-offs have moved my guide dog when we sat in a bulkhead
row.  Also I was ejected once from a flight simply because I wanted to sit
in only the second row.  During the trial the pilot stated that in his
opinion the guide dog posed a greater danger to other passengers in a panic
situation when the dog was in a row other than the bulkhead notwithstanding
the fact that in non-bulkhead rows dogs are more easily restrained.

Not everyone agrees with the non-bulkhead position.  I respect that.
However, I do think there are real potential safety issues with sitting in
the bulkhead row with a guide in turbulent situations.  Many of us do not
think about this and the schools certainly do  not bring up this issue as
they like bulkheads.

The fact is that even 95 and 100 pound dogs have sat comfortably in
non-bulkhead rows if they are properly trained to do so by their handlers.
They can go under typical aircraft seats although it might be necessary to
remove the harness to make this happen.

Again, it is each individual's choice as it should be.  We all need to
respect each other on this point.

As for giving advanced notification to an airline of the presence of a guide
dog the law does not require it nor is it necessary.  Airline personnel are
famous for making up their own rules as they go along.  I mentioned my
removal from an aircraft earlier.  The flight crew violated its own airline
policy by insisting that I sit in a bulkhead row.  The flight attendants and
pilot made up their own policy and didn't even apologize when they
discovered that they had gone against the rules and regulations of their own
airline.  Airlines do not have to prepare for a guide dog.

The exception to this does concern international flights, especially when
traveling to certain countries.  Some foreign destinations require the
airlines to complete forms and themselves notify the foreign country that
they will be carrying a guide dog on a particular flight.  We don't make up
all the rules.

Now I have entered the fray, but I hope in an understanding way.  Take care.

Best,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
     “Speaking with Vision”
                 Michael Hingson, President
                         (415) 827-4084
                   info at michaelhingson.com
                   www.michaelhingson.com

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com