[nagdu] Traveling Advice

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 30 03:25:18 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
    I think it is a very bad idea to alert either an airline or a hotel that
one will be traveling with a guide dog. such a practice only opens the doors
to discrimination, as the presence of a guide dog is irrelevant. Alerting a
place of public accommodation in advance that you will be accompanied by a
guide dog causes personnel to take actions and make arrangements that may be
discriminatory, such as seating in a specific place not wanted by the
individual, requiring one to stay on a first floor, or other such
unnecessary actions. Since an airline and hotel have no choice but to allow
a person with a disability to be accompanied by a service animal, there is
absolutely no need to give them advance notice!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala