[nagdu] technology position opening in Texas

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 02:35:57 UTC 2011

Greetings. this is regarding a position in the technology department
at the criss Cole Rehabilitation Center. A position has recently
become available at this adult training center for the blind in
Austin, Texas. This is the state's training center. the position will
be open until April 14. Criss cole helps blind adults regain their
independence, or build on what skills they already have. Criss Cole
has a very good policy for those with guide dogs, mainly that the
student must not use the dog for 4 hours of the day, but they have the
option of using their dog guide the rest of the training day. this is
more progressive in my humble opinion as compared to other training
centers. I am not trying to start debate on this, just pointing out
the policy at Criss cole. I have been working at criss cole for the
past 5 years and have very much enjoyed it. I can say from experience
that the technology department does not have openings very often, at
least compared to other departments at the center. Those that are
interested are highly encouraged to apply. In general, the person
would need to be familiar with JAWS, Windows, and other Microsoft
Office related software. the person would also need to be willing to
undergo blindfold training and wear a blindfold if they are low vision
or sighted. To read more about the requirements and other job details,
go to the following link:

https://rm.accesshr.hhsc.state.tx.us/ENG/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=173015&szReturnToSearch=1&&szWordsToHighlight=ccrc

If that link doesn’t work, then go to the following form, use CCRC as
the keyword and set the location as Austin:

https://rm.accesshr.hhsc.state.tx.us/ENG/careerportal/default.cfm?szUniqueCareerPortalID=fbc767e0-795a-412f-8897-431b08f314e8

Good luck,
wayne Merritt, Technology instructor
Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center