[nagdu] Emotional Support Dog Article

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 16:21:05 UTC 2011

Hm...  For the purposes of the Fair Housing Act, which would apply in this
case, the landlord was out of bounds.  Emotional support animals *are*
covered under the FHA and often also under state housing laws.

So in my opinion, it is nice to finally see the law enforced, with penalties
attached to make other such intransigent property companies think again
before they decide to try their hand at lawbreaking.  Here in Oregon, even
our super weak land use and landlord/tenant laws are not enforced, and it's
a nightmare!  People have to put up with more crap just have a place to
live, and when it comes to living in a property that is maintained according
to code...  Well, you just have to trust in luck there.  Also, we have been
number 1 in homelessness for quite some time now, having given ourselves a
pretty good head start even before the housing crash.

So...  Having the laws that protect us and our guides as well as other
groups who use service dogs -- and, in housing, emotional support or comfort
animals -- enforced with real money penalties is a refreshing thing to me!
/grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney