[nagdu] How do any of you deal with small children wanting totouch your guide dog

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 06:06:35 UTC 2011

I silently seethe when I hear some folks say that I'm an ambassador of good
will. This job just doesn't pay enough.

This gets back to people, strangers, asking "what's wrong with your eyes?
How did you get blind? Oh, your glasses are so thick! I can't comfort the
masses all of the time, especially if the conversation seems adversarial;
and it is if some one is thoughtless enough to exclaim how thick my glasses
are. I know they are.  My newest response tends to be, I really don't know
you and that is personal. Some one explained it to me that how thoughtless
would it be if I asked someone how did they  get cancer, or why are your
breasts missing, and the like.

I went through a lot of the thoughtless remarks at a woman's retreat a few
weeks ago. Instead of feeling spiritually enriched, I felt alienated.

Lisa and Bernie