[nagdu] Dogs walking on the left side

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 15:01:59 UTC 2011

Hello!

I just read in a dog training book that dogs were trained to walk on the
left side, because originally military dogs were trained to walk there sso
that soldiers  could carry their gear on the right. Consequently, guide dogs
are trained to guide from that side as well. If, however, a blind individual
needs a dog to guide from the right side (missing left arm, etc.), a dog
will be trained to guide from that side. They have to be specifically
trained to guide from that side. If you just move the dog over to the right
side, it will initially have trouble avoiding clearances. (I tried this once
with my first guide dog. Boy I'm glad I was trying this out inside)

Toni