[nagdu] the body language workshop

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 01:40:31 UTC 2011

Yeah, I think you're pretty much right, especially as it concerns the vast
majority of people.  They're surprised, they're suddenly assaulted by deep
seated, almost instinctual fears they may not have known they had, and
they're trying to be considerate in the face of all that.  So one must give
them credit and do one's best to help them out.  /smile/

Come to think of it, we had moved to a new area for my then-husband's job,
and I had started a new job when I first started encountering the odd social
reactions to the presence of a white cane.  I was still wearing my glasses,
though they were reaching the end of their helpfulness, so that really
confused some people.  /lol/

Still, I managed to get bombarded with all that stuff and the darnedest
things adult say while I was still trying to figure out the blindness thing
myself while my central vision just cheerfully sloped off to somewhere else
with no concern about whether this was a convenient time for me.  How rude!
/grin/  Couldn't it at least have waited until I had gotten more settled in?
And perhaps in a better position to leave the spouse whose response to its
growing absense was, well, not helpful.  Then disruptive.  Then injurious...
I needed to understand, of course, how difficult this all was for him, my
going blind and all.  So anyway, I was a bit overloaded in general, didn't
really have much time to make dealing with this new era of vision loss
directly, and then people who just pop up and say weird things.  /lol/  What
a hoot!

My employer was actually pretty great, which I was nice.  I'd taken an entry
level job and expected it to be a living h*ll, but found I enjoyed myself
and the people around me, including my boss, quite a bit.  Which did not
mean I minded getting the promotion to Dada Manager in 5 months, before I
could get bored and snarly with the grunt work.  /smile/  My boss was one of
those who would fumble through attempts at the correct adjective in a
painful way, and I was no help at all because I didn't have a clue how she
was supposed to refer to me when it came to issues related to blindness,
either.  She was a great woman, with a wonderful sense of humor, so we both
laughed over and moved on once she was satisfied that she had done her
bossly duty by trying to be PC -- as much for the sake of anyone who might
be listening in as for either of us.  Which was actually cool, because I
could communicate to all those curious ears at the same time that I wasn't
all that uptight about it and that I could laugh about it.

Anyway, when I gave up on the spouse, I moved on to the great land of mass
transit, got crippled (temporarily, but for much too long) by VR staff,
became seen as a guide dog user while still training a wild and woolly young
poodle.  So again, a bit overwhelmed by something else to even begin to come
up with a workable response.  Huh???  /lol/

Now it's pretty much all old hat, though I am treated to a new one now and
then.  Huh???  But I guess I'm kinda like you that way.  I go along hardly
noticing until that proverbial camel injuring straw hits...  Then I just
have to go with the flow and work to remember my manners until I get home or
at least to the pick up where I can rant like there is no tomorrow!  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney