[nagdu] Ohio Divison of NFB NAGDU

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 03:52:50 UTC 2011

Carin,

Welcome to NAGDU and the list.  I'm from Oregon and no help on the Ohio
question.  Just waned to say hi and welcome.  /smile/

My name is Tami (Tammy, in case you're using JAWS), and I am working my
nearly 5-year-old owner-trained poodle guide Mitzi.  She's also my first
guide, so it's been quite an adventure.  Now that she is fully a grown up,
no question about it (poodles mature a bit later than other large breeds)
and we have some experience under our belts as a team, I am learning to
enjoy just going about as a guide dog handler without all that drama and
fuss that comes from being a newbie with a young, energetic dog.  /grin/

This is a great place to get to know guide dog users from most -- possibly
all -- of the major guide dog programs and from all walks of life and at all
levels of experience.  We love to talk about our guides and our schools,
believe you me.  /grin/  If you want information, you've come to right
place!  You may get more information sometimes than you can possibly hope to
absorb, and when some subjects come up, there's all sorts of information
that doesn't always agree with itself...  But we do discuss it all.  /grin/
I rather enjoy it, even when sensitive subjects come up and things get
heated, because I keep learning things.  Also, people are pretty civilized
for the most part, and if we forget to mind our manners, well...  The
moderators will remind us all right quick!  /grin/

So please feel free to ask questions while you're investigating the
wonderful wacky world of guide dogs.  And enjoy over there in Ohio!

Tami Smith-Kinney