[nagdu] Dogs walking on the left side

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 16:07:21 UTC 2011

Lisa,

Yeah, I liked it, too.  It's interesting, because the reason we still
*always* work to the left of the horse is because of their military
background.  So working Mitzi on my right seems very natural, as that's
where my horses have always been.

The reason it's backwards between horses and dogs, I guess, is that it was
easier for a knight to mount from the left because of his sword.  Holding
the reins in the left hand and a few other little things like that left the
sword arm free.

So, horses to the right, dogs to the left.  Fascinating to learn about these
little carry-overs from history.

Tami Smith-Kinney