[nagdu] Issuing dogs at 18 months - is it too young?

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 13 18:02:37 UTC 2011

Hi Sarah:

Sorry, I've been away so am way way behind on my emails. Bogart is from a school in Oakville Canada called Canine Vision Canada which is the dog guide program at Dog Guides Canada. They also have hearing dogs, service dogsand other alert dogs trained there. Oakville is a suburb of Toronto if that helps to know where it is. In my class of 8, six were poodles. they tend to have one poodle class a year I think. So far from that class one lab was returned because she was a mismatch and worked to slowly with much anxiety. She has since been placed with a different person. Just recently, Byran, Bogart's brother, was returned to the school. The girl who had him really wasn't suitable for a guide dog if you ask me. She didn't even really like dogs but seemed to be pressured into the whole thing. she had other physical issues that made her weaker as well so had issues controlling the dog. If Byroan   was like Bogart he would require an assertive/strong handler to keep him focused. Bogart is still a challenge at times to keep focused but I know that and don't let it bother me, just try to keep him on task. He is a great guide and has rarely ran me into anything besides the odd person. However, when he is looking all around he has actually walked himself into the odd thing. How embarrassing!

Gary