[nagdu] follow was Grave problems with Pilot Dogs program

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Apr 16 13:15:16 UTC 2011

Thanks to everyone for the follow ideas!  If the weather cooperates I'll try
to work on it today. We've had rain, snow and 60 mph winds for the past two
days.

I think I'm going to try teaching follow in a vacant parking lot instead of
on a regular pathway.  Monty will follow for about 5 seconds and then he
decides he knows where we are going and will go around the person so he can
be in front.

I think I'm also going to experiment with having the person more alongside
instead of ahead to see if that makes a big difference.  I noticed the other
day that this is how he will follow the cart in the grocery store.

I don't think he's ever going to be great at follow, but if I could get him
to cooperate for short bits, it would make things so much easier.

Thanks!
Julie