[nagdu] follow was Grave problems with Pilot Dogs program

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 19:31:01 UTC 2011

Teehee!  Are you sure he and Mitzi aren't trading secret phone calls in the
middle of the night.  If the man of the house is too boring, well....

I finally gave up on convincing people to give up calling Mitzi or giving
her commands.  It was easier just to click her for not obeying their
commands, then repeating the command -- or the best version of it for our
needs -- and click and treat her for that.  I always tell the person in a
calm, easy-going tone that it's better that they let me know where they are
by sound so I can tell my dog which way to go, etc., just for the sake of
communicating and educating.  Meanwhile, I can work with my dog myself with
or without their interference.  It may not work with every dog, but the
Mitzi poodle is pretty one-woman to begin with, so simply reinforcing her
natural decision to wait for my command has been the easiest way to train
her to do it that way.  /smile/

She still drives DD crazy sometimes when he forgets and wants to be in
charge, even though he knows better.  /lol/  He knows Mitzi well enough to
really know better.  It took over a year for her to decide that she would go
out for business first thing in the morning when he opens the door for her
instead of making him wake me up to open the door.  BB has been here a mere
8 months and was kind of grumbling the other day that when he got home from
swing shift, she kept telling him she needed to go out, and he would open
the door, and she would just look at him and grin and wag her tale without
making a move towards the door, so he would close it and she would...  I
told him he should just go ahead and wake me up when she tells him what she
needs, but he's a bit more tenderhearted about dragging someone out of bed
in the middle of the night than DD.  /lol/

The saga continues...  Mwa-ha-ha!

Tami Smith-Kinney