[nagdu] Lisa and All: Bill of Rights

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 19 09:32:58 UTC 2011

Brittney,
    I object to the characteristic of the guide dog consumer as a "beggar".
Guide dog training programs raise millions of dollars each year with the
assertion that they are doing something beneficial and enhancing for the
blind. Donors - many of whom are their own consumers - donate these millions
with the same intent. If it were not for us, those employed by the training
programs would not be earning their livings.
    The idea that we have no say and must settle for whatever we receive
with no rights to address abuse or maltreatment is archaic. Most training
programs obviously view their blind consumers as nothing more than wards who
are unable to govern their own lives, let alone take care of a dog. What
other reason would they have for not transferring ownership upon completion
of the program? I have heard many justifications and rationalizations for
this paternalistic practice but none of them are convincing. It is time for
us to discard the notion that we are beholden to the training programs and
demand to be treated equitably and with the dignity many of these programs
mistakenly assert they provide.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala