[nagdu] Going Downhill

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 19:22:45 UTC 2011

Mark,

Yes, but no.  Does that help?  /lol/  As near as I understand what's
actually happening in the correlation between blindness and vertigo is that
it's not the blindness that causes the problem but the neurological stuff
that processes vision into the sense of sight and doesn't quite know what to
do without the information it's used to getting from the optic nerve through
the eyes themselves.  For those of us who have probably been told quite a
lot that blind people can't keep their balance because they can't see, the
good news is that its really just all in our heads.  /smile/  The brain's
natural ability to adapt will take care of a lot of the problem all by
itself over time, so long as we don't believe that we're supposed to avoid
walking because we're just dizzy blind people now and shouldn't put
ourselves in danger by standing up.  If you're really lucky, you can hear
this for the first time while being handed your first-ever white cane!
After which you will be told that you need to leave home for a few months to
learn to use it.  Only, at least in my state, you need to know how to use it
before you are qualified to come over to the big city to get lessons in how
to use it.  You will need to sit down at that point because for some reason
you're feeling a bit dizzy.  /smile/  Further inquiry, as I can tell you,
will reveal that in fact this is how things are in reality, except for the
part where blindness causes dizziness so blind people shouldn't be trying to
walk around all the time like they do.  The only people for whom that part
is true is the people who are in the business of handing out long white
canes and promising to provide lessons in how to use it to walk around.
They believe that this and other similar arcane and special knowledge gives
them the obligation to say these sorts of things to you as if you are the
one who is stupid and possible even soft in the head.  /evil grin/  If
you're not used to this sort of thing, it can be very weird.  It keeps being
weird even when you get used to that sort of thing, in my opinion.

Anyway, based on your statement about your lifelong lack of vertigo, let me
see if I just learned something else about you:  You've been blind from
birth or childhood.  Am I close?  /lol/  I'm guessing that's the case
because if it is, your brain would never have used vision as an aid to
balance, or it would have still been early enough in its development and
still plastic enough to adapt to losing that part of the balance equation.

Er...  That's a somewhat educated guess on my part, but I have done the
background reading to think I'm close to what's going on and have heard
about imaging studies since that add to my belief that I'm on the right
track.  I try to use that to help myself over the humps and bumps and even
sometimes trips of my own adaptation process.  Sometimes it even helps.
/smile/

Then you go from cane to guide dog while you're still not fully adapted and
suddenly have to learn to walk all over again.  Well, you do if you're me at
least.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney