[nagdu] Letting Someone Else Work Your Dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 18:41:51 UTC 2011

Yeah, Mitzi has saved me from having to decide whether I would let someone
else work her.  After a year or so, she would agree to go outside if DD
opens the door at 5 in the morning to let her out, and she will even now
allow him to hold the leash so long as I'm standing right there using both
hands to do something else with.  I think she still gives him a pretty sharp
look to let him know that she is doing a big favor and he'd better behave
himself.  I hear and feel the same body language, and he chuckles quietly
white she's doing it, so I guess he's still getting The Look.  It was
sometime around December or January of this very winter that he forgot
himself and took hold of her by the harness handle just to be sure she
didn't run in front of a passing car while I was getting out of the truck.
When it was new and I hadn't figured out the distance from the floor to the
ground, getting in an out was quite and exciting adventure for me, requiring
my full concentration and the use of all limbs.  Also, I tended to embarrass
myself by shrieking softly just before my feet hit the ground, so that made
me feel good about myself.  /lol/

Anyway, once my feet were on the ground and I was over my fear of the
bottomless pit I'd been sure I was falling into, I focused back in on the
guy with the dog.  They seemed to be going around in circles and cursing
each other over something or other.  When I went to grab the handle on its
way by, I knew exactly what was going on there.  /lol/  From her body
language once my hand was on and his was off and she had snapped into
position like a rubber band, I didn't need to wonder from her body language
and posture if she was giving him The Look.  I could *hear* that stare.
/lol/

If she's that dead set against his taking hold of the handle in order to
stand still (or try to), I'm pretty sure letting someone to test drive her
to see what it's like wouldn't have quite the results that it might with
another dog.  /lol/

On the bright side, I don't have to worry too much about someone coming
along and stealing my dog without my noticing. All the spinning in circles
and stuff makes a certain amount of noise and causes some disruption.  Plus
the theif would probably be making some vocal noise of some sort while being
spun around by the cute poodle.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney