[nagdu] Unequal Benefit

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 26 12:05:32 UTC 2011

Tami,
    Sometimes, when we face discrimination, we are told, "We are only trying
to help!" However, the help that is offered is often based upon the person's
misconceptions of what sort of help is needed, not upon what is actually
necessary. In this case, Julie was afforded an unequal benefit, since, out
of all of the reservations that were made, she was singled out and treated
in a manner that was not consistent with everyone else. This resulted in
accommodations that may not have been what she wanted, such as a first floor
room, perhaps because it was believed she could not manage stairs or the
elevator, and may be even a "handicapped" room.
    Whatever the reason for divulging the information about her disability
and the presence of her guide dog, Julie was treated differently than others
and the differential treatment was based upon her disability. No matter how
well-meaning it was, it is offensive for someone to assume that they know
better than us what sort of accommodations we want or need. Julie may not
care if she is on the first floor or not but that should be her choice and
not founded in the misconceptions that she "needs" such a thing! JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion