[nagdu] Harnesses and IDs

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 22:11:09 UTC 2011

Jennifer, are you from Michigan as well or were you just visiting?  In Ann Arbor I have never been asked for my ID yett!  Came close though at the public library.  Someone asked me if she was a service dog when she was in harness!  Well, I went to take out my ID but they said that was ok.  I may be the odd one out but I think everyone should carry and be asked for IDs for there dogs!  This is so that we can prevent those who sneak dogs on planes, in restraunts and in public buildings saying that they provide service when actually people are trying to give them a free pass!  I think it reflects badly on those of us who do have service dogs that do behave when someone sneaks a dog in and you can see that whatever service the dog is performing isn't evident or the dog is clearly not being controlled!  I have heard and observed way too much of this kind of thing going on!  I have also observed that buisnesses will let service dogs come in who have clearly never seem to have been cleaned or otherwise attended too.    Living in Ann Arbor, we run into all kinds of goofy folks.  Some think dogs are little people who have every rite that we do and get appalled when you correct them for sniffing or eating off the floor!  Others are so sccared of dogs they will leave a gas station when you come in with one!  I have also seen folks claim that the dog is a service dog and it is a little thing that they cuddle like a teddy bear and barks at everyone that comes by!  The point is, that I think IDs should be checked for no other reason than to keep people from bringing untrained "service dogs" where they shouldn't be allowed.
Intelligence is always claimed but rarely proven!