[nagdu] intro and some questions

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 20:15:47 UTC 2011

Hi Chantel,

I can only speak for one school, which is where my dogs have come from, GDB.
I was born with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, so even when I got my first
dog in 975, I had damage, stiffness, pain and a fused knee.  Since then I've
had much more joint damage, joint replacements and more stiffness and pain.
I explain all that to say that I can't walk long distances.  I can't spend a
day running errands on foot, walking miles and spending hours doing it.  I
have limitations both in what I can physically stand and what I need to do
to protect the artificial knee I have.  So, I have a small number of set
routes and none of those are longer than a mile, usually a half mile or so
each way, max.  GDB has always understood that and gives me a dog who can
handle less activity than the average.  The important thing, and I am
positive this would apply to any school is that you do have a couple routes
you can do on a regular basis.

I recommend thinking of what is important to you in a dog and a training
program, then looking at the schools web sites and talk to grads of any
schools to get the good and bad side of it from people who have been through
it.  I'm happy to answer questions about GDB if you want to write me
privately, sherriola at gmail.com

Good luck with whatever you do.  There are days I go out with my dog and I
still marvel at the wonder of me moving so freely and joyfully with my dog.

Sherry