[nagdu] service dogs and people's fears or allergies

frandi.galindo at gmail.com frandi.galindo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:16:54 UTC 2011

I'm pretty sure I missed the beginning of this thread, but people with guide
dogs should be considerate about peoples alergies.  I have been in these
situations, and it doesn't take much to compromise.  My Fiancé's aunt is
severely alergic to dogs, and I don't bring him to her house when we go
visit her.  That’s when I use my cane, or just go on what I know when I
travel without a cane or a dog.  I once worked at a camp for the blind and
visually impaired, and one of the campers was alergic to dogs, or so she
claimed.  She seamed fine around my guide at times, so I believe she was
just faking it.  It doesn't mean you have to leave your dog at home when you
are traveling, but it also means you also should be considerate.  Yes there
are those who do fake ailments, or who claim to be alergic to things just
because they don't feel like dealing with them, or because they are afraid
of something, for example a dog, but there are also those who are truly
alergic.  That is when you use the next best thing when you travel.  Your
cane!  Besides its good to keep up on your cane skills because you never
know when you are gonna need them.  What if the dog is sick, and is unable
to function as your eyes?  Anyways, that’s what I have to say about that.