[nagdu] airport adventure

Sam Hogle smhogle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 00:53:20 UTC 2011

Hello all. I thought this would be interesting since we've been on this
topic lately. Mason and I spent the last week in NC, and had an
interesting experiense today that I haven't had before and hope to not
have again. Normally, I've noticed that airport staff are generally
nervous around Mason. However, the guy working security was the exact
opposite. In fact, when the harness set off the alarm, he wanted me to
remove it along with the leash and collar. I thought this was odd, but
since the guy was cooperating with me in helping me keep control of him,
something that was not an issue since he was behaving, and it sped up
the process, I wasn't sure what good complaining would do. Also, I'd
never heard of this happening before. So, that resolved itself and we
continued on our way. At that point, I was thinking that things would go
smoothly when the gate agent walked over and said that I "Had to sit in
the bulk head." I patiently informed her that I did not have to do this,
to which she responded that it was their policy. I followed up with the
fact that the ADA keeps this from happening, to which she replied, "It
doesn't say anything like that in the MDA." You got it people, she
couldn't even get the name right. Anyway, she went to talk to her
supervisor, and came back with the same answer. I told her that he
physically wouldn't fit there since they couldn't block off the seat
next to me and there was nothing for him to go under. She responded
with, "not a problem. We can put you in the aisle." I then said that he
would be in danger of getting run over by the drink carts or stepped on
by other pasengers, and that this still wouldn't solve the fact that he
would be in the leg room of the person next to me. At this point, a man
sitting a few feet away said he didn't mind sitting there, which made me
realize that we were having this discussion in earshot of everyone,
something I thought was extremely unprofessional on her part. Anyway,
after that man said that, she said that they would also let me know when
the cart was coming, and that Mason would be in no danger. I told her
that this was still unsafe, and that I couldn't ride there, to which she
responded, "You have too or you won't go on this flight." At this point
I was at a loss. Since she was being unreasonable and didn't even want
to listen to what I had to say, reasoning with her was out. I also knew
that I couldn't talk with her supervisor since I heard them talking at
the counter, and knew they were on the same side. I'd thought about
leaving and trying to rebook my flight since I had no obligations at
home, but had no way to get the hour long distanse from the airport to
my aunt's since she was at work at that point and couldn't leave. So, I
had decided that I would wait untill we were boarding and talk with the
flight attendent. I figured they would see that Mason wouldn't fit, and
we could easily straighten this out. However, I guess karma decided to
step in first. It turns out that the plane we were supposed to ride on
had maintinanse issues, and the flight was canseled. There were some
vacant seats on a flight leaving an hour and a half later, and one of
those seats was given to me. Luckily, that gate agent was more than
accomidating and the original agent saw the whole transaction. So, I
guess that showed her what she could do with her "policies." lol Anyway,
Mason and I made it home safely, and I'm definitely considering writting
to Delta about this one. I don't mind educating people about rules and
regulations, but I won't have people completely brush me off and treat
me or my dog like second class citizens.
Sam and Seeing Eye Dog Mason