[nagdu] NFB and Dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Aug 13 16:30:32 UTC 2011

I know, what I'll do to respect other people is I'll put a big zip lock bag
over my dog so they won't have to touch him, be licked or anything else.
That way  I can be totally respectful and all the dog guide-haters will just
love me for being such a good sport.

I'll punch some holes in the front part so my dog can breath, and woops,
I'll need some way for him to actually see so he can guide me.

The proceeding was sarcasm.

If you want an example of the reasons for concern among dog users of the NFB
try to find and read the October 1995 Monitor which was dedicated solely to
guide dog bashing.

Fortunately, either more tolerance is abroad in the land or those who feel
that dog guides are abhorrent have toned their public remonstrations down or
changed their mind.

I have never been happy with how the NFB centers deal with guide dog issues,
and especially with the case of Stephanie Doman, (spelling)?  In the Iowa
Center.

I know that just the average Federationist like me is not intolerant and I
like my Greater Orlando chapter and I have been in the Federation since I
was a kid-smile.

I believe that, at the risk of flattering Marion, that his leadership of
NAGDU has done a lot to change the situation and I applaud him, plus I've
known the guy for 20 years and if he can put up with me then he must be a
great guy--lol.

Now, here's an interesting question.
Thos e of us who have dogs now, what was our impression of guide dogs before
we got a dog?
I always loved dogs and thought a guide dog was a wonderful idea.
My thing was that I met a few people over the years who seemed to be control
freaks and I felt sorry for the dogs.
I'd meet people who were correcting or shouting "phooey" at the dog and I
said to myself "poor dog, why do I want to get a dog if I need to scold it
all the time".
Then I met other people like Sherri Brun from Orlando who were great to
their dogs and the dogs themselves were adorable.

Now, as a guide dog user I know things happen, people need to correct, and
so on, butt's interesting to think back on that.

Dan W. and the Carter Nut