[nagdu] A Message from a Fidelco Volunteer

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Sun Aug 21 18:20:34 UTC 2011

     Good morning list.
I am pleased to see all the concrete info Marion has provided about
Fidelco.

As for Tami's post below, I find in my state the Rehab agency is
horrible.  I returned items given me as part of my case because I could
see my case going nowhere and my only choice was to accept whatever the
counselor said which was not what would work for me.  Instead, I had my
case closed and figured things out for myself. I later had a separate
case to get O&M skills and a retiring supervisor told the O&m guy to
close my case ASAP.  I wanted help on both instances and the rehab
agency would only help me on their terms.  I have heard other horror
stories about rehab agencies in other states.

to me this is relevant to this NAGDU list and the Fidelco topic because
it seems that it is acceptable to treat people who are blind this way.
We are supposed to just say thank you and obey those agencies.  When we
try to stand up for ourselves we often get slapped down.   These
agencies (Rehab and Fidelco) learn by experience that they can continue
to do whatever they want.

I am very glad to see NAGDU dealing with this Fidelco issue and bringing
concrete info to light.  Hopefully other guidedog schools who might be
tempted to mistreat clients would think twice.  If not, hopefully at
least prospective clients will be able to avoid them because of the work
that NAGDU is doing.  This is not possible with state rehab agencies as
it is often the only way to get expensive equipment and training.
Fortunately I was able to purchase Window eyes myself and continue
working and surfing the internet.  Therefore, I have been able to adapt
to my vision loss.  I found Leader Dogs has a wonderful Accelerated
Mobility class which fit my needs perfectly and of course NAGDU where I
am learning about guide dog issues for the day I can get a guide.

Brenda
Brenda