[nagdu] finding one's way with dog was RE: Mobility and Dogs

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 20:49:45 UTC 2011

Well, yes; also, she taught me how handy they were. /smile/

The truly most wonderful thing about applied operant conditioning, where
you are using positive reward and motivation to train for desired
behaviors, is that once you both click with each other and are
communicating well, the animal you are training will offer up behaviors
for you to approve of... So, then, all you need to do is reward a new
behavior that comes in handy for you, and there you have it. /grin/ It's
not exactly that simple, but at the same time, it is exactly that
simple.

So as Mitzi and I have figured out this whole guide dog thing together,
she's shown me things she things might be helpful, I've clicked and
treated or just laughed delightedly and told her how clever she is, then
we refine it and start doing things that way. Saved me having to figure
out how to use a guide dog to go up or down stairs, stuff like that.
She's become an active participant in working that sort of thing out.
The trick, with her at least, is to maintain balance in the partnership
where I am the final decision maker if there's a question, while also
following her lead when she's the one with the information and knowledge
and, now, experience to know which way to go or what's ahead the I'm
insisting she run me into. /lol/ It does make my life a lot more fun,
because we can just head out to wherever, orient, show each other
landmarks and other items of interest, then relax and have fun
adventuring together, then fin our way back by our combination of eyes,
ears, noses, and the nonverbal signals we give each other through the
leash or harness... As well as my being able to tell her to fin this
landmark or that so that I am oriented, too. Now that we're heading off
more with the trailer for travel, I am loving it, because while DD is
doing his thing to get the trailer set up when we arrive, I can just pop
out of the truck with dog, leash, cane, harness or not, whatever, and
orient around, give Mitzi a good sniff and potty break, check out some
other stuff, relax, have a smoke, chat with whomever we're visiting,
unless we just break out and get to a campground on our own, explore the
house, come out, see how DD is doing with the trailer... /lol/ Then he
will remember his stern duty to watch out for us and spend some time
rumbling at us to slow down and be careful... /lol/

Tami