[nagdu] Dogs and traffic lights

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Mon Aug 22 14:26:52 UTC 2011

As usual, Tommy, a very entertaining and pleasant post.
The misconception about guide dogs reading traffic lights seems to be the
most persistent one.
I don't get as  many comments on it  these days and that's  either because
I'm doing better or people just don't give a darn--smile.

It used to happen all the damned time.
I have explained that I hear only out of one ear.
It goes in one ear and not out the other?--lol.
So, telling whether the cars are in front or to the side of me has always
been an interesting proposition.
I remember when I was a kid and made my first ventures in to independent
mobility.
I'm not going to mince words, I'd just stand at the curb with tears in my
eyes because I just couldn't tell.  I just figured out that you do the best
you can and that's it.

I've developed my own techniques, but you know sooner or later something
happens.
And of course everyone's there to tell me that my dog crossed me against the
light or something like that, why did the dog do that, isn't he/she trained?
I think what irks me is not the question, but that half the time when I
explain it they keep arguing?
Oh, but aren't they supposed to tell you when it's red?
I just explained that. Oh, but isn't it dangerous? Well, I explain that one
too.

Once a guy debated with me, yes argued about it. He said he had a professor
in college who told him that guide dogs cross when the light is the right
color and so "I don't know who trained that dog, but those dogs do know".

Oy vay, as my Dad would have said.

And what's more, people who can't remember what they had for breakfast will
remember for weeks that they saw you cross against the light.

Of course, they wouldn't ever consider, let's see..asking you if you needed
assistance when it actually happened?

Go figure.

And where are they when I do it right? They are there probably saying "you
see, that dog did know when the light's red".--lol

Dan the man, Carter the nut