[nagdu] Dogs and traffic lights

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Aug 22 17:14:56 UTC 2011

Hi Brenda.
In my experience crossing streets with my dog, people might sometimes stop
on a quiet street and yell out that it's OK to go, but mostly they zoom in
front of me, especially when they're turning.  Don't know if they'd do the
same if I had my cane, but I suspect so.  Which makes me very glad to have
my dog, with his excellent traffic skills.  I think the average Jersey or
New York driver would run down his own grandmother just to get to whatever
very important place he's going a minute earlier.  But then I heard the
other day that some yahoos in rural Pennsylvania think it's funny to aim
their car at a pedestrian or bike rider on the side of the road, just to
watch them jump into the ditch, I guess.  Which strengthens my suspicion
that decent people turn into raving psychopaths the minute they get behind
the wheel of a car.  But I digress.  I can live with the occasional
yelling of "You can cross now!
", though it used to annoy me considerable.  It's the honking that annoys
me now.  Does Beeep mean I can go, or that the driver wants to go?
Tracy