[nagdu] Sniffing

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 14:20:48 UTC 2011

Larry

Well, I remind people most of Shirley Temple... The tap dancing tot. And
all those pert, precocious characters she played. People will walk up to
me anywhere, any time, and just start talking to me about pretty much
anything. Used to make me crazy because as a natural born math geek and
student thereof while I was working my way up as a professional computer
geek, I had and will never stand a chance of being taken seriously
because I can be going on about some advanced and complicated
development project only to look up (when I could still see faces) to
see every executive in the company smirking at me. Now, I just laugh
because I know *exactly* what they're thinking before someone blurts it
up. They have no idea what I'm talking about, but they're just listening
because they know at any second, I'm going to break into song and dance.
So then someone blurts it out, and I blush, and, well... The only upshot
is that my boss/client of the moment will just shake his/her head and
say, "I don't know what you're talking about, either, but it sounds like
you do, so just do whatever you think it best and let me know when
you're done."  /lol/ This works for me!

So now I go around with the 6 ft. plus alpha male with visible physical
prowess despite the silver hair. He, too, has The Look and is not afraid
to use it! So then I feel left out because nobody comes up to bug me or
harass me or ask stupid questions about the dog. They just mind their
manners and speak nicely and courteously and all that boring
stuff. /grin/ I can manage to make most people step back with The Look
when it counts, and that's usually when people are more aggressive than
stupid. Or stupid and aggressive. I think that, as Rebecca suggested a
while back, it's a matter of projecting a certain energy. Also, I
believe, the direct eye contact (or as correct as I can fudge these
days) and the slight shift in posture communicates past the forebrain to
the deeper predatory instincts at work. If it's easy prey, that's one
thing. But if it's not showing fear and running away, but actually
preparing itself for you... What does it have that you don't know about
that might end up with your getting hurt. Never mind that I got nothing
to back up the bluff; I'm not prey, so the predator just oozes off to
find something better to do. People who are just being ignorant don't
seem to spark whatever it is that I put into The Look, so I just have to
find other means of getting past them and on with my day. /smile/ Or let
the alpha male that's hanging around with me most of the time these days
give them a glance of disapproval. /lol/

Tami