[nagdu] Introduction Re: Canes With Dogs

Mária Orovcíková maria.orovcikova at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:20:59 UTC 2011

Hi to all,
I am not sure if you remember me, but some of you might do as I have posted
a message asking for help with a guide dog command which I needed for my
thesys at that time. But it was quite a while ago (sometime last year or a
bit more).
I am very sorry I haven't posted since, but I have been busy with school
things . I've been still reading the list and I find it very useful.
Before I write something about myself for those who don't know me yet, I
would like to thank all of you for great help I got from you last year.
So my name is Maria. I live in Slovakia (Central Europe). I have graduated
from university last month. My major was English and special education for
blind and visually impaired. I got a master degree.
I have a guide dog, her name is demi and she is a black labrador. We have
been together for seven years. She does not help me only in guiding and
orientation,
but as I have a mild cerebral palsy and have balance problem sometimes, she
is great helper in this case as well.
I have something to comment on Tatiana's post.
So Tatiana, if you do not mind me asking, where are you from?
This question just came on my mind as I have read your question about using
a cane with a guide dog at the same time.
Here in my country, guide dog handlers are trained to use a guide dog and a
cane together. It is not a regular cane, but just a short folding signalling
cane like Larry has mentioned.
As far as I know, they train dogs that way in some other countries like
Czech Republic for example.
If you have more questions regarding training guide dogs or anything, feel
free to ask.
With regards
Maria