[nagdu] Questions About Guide Dogs

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 31 20:55:05 UTC 2011

Hi Larry:

Yes, I have bogart trained to do the push buttons, bus stops, benches, garbages. The funny thing is I never trained him how to identify bus stops with no shelter. If there is a shelter, he will go to the bench inside. If not, then he will go to the bus stop pole. I think when I first got him I didn't trust him and moved us to the left 20 feet. The bus rolled up, stopped (thank god) but was actually where bogart had been. So then I decided to trust him about this. He's a poodle so just so smart though. :) My favourite thing I've noticed he knows how to do is find where to cross at T intersections. Say I'm walking along a road on the sidewalk and I know there is a road off to the left I need for us to get on I  tell Bogart "Bogart, Left, find the curb." I just tried this once to see what would happen. At a point, he turned left onto the grass beside the sidewalk and stopped at the curb. I listened for traffic and when it was safe, told him forward, find the curb. I was so surprised when we ended up at the corner of the T intersection right at the curb cut. Very cool!

Gary