[nagdu] Request for Reasonable Accommodation

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 03:28:55 UTC 2011

Rebecca,

Well, DD and I are working together on this, since I know more about
that sort of thing even though it is his dog. Also, I'm more computer
literate. /lol/ And I know the jargon, etc., etc. So I can just do it
and print it.

You asked good questions in your earlier post. I haven't had time to
answer and am currently too tired to do so sensibly. Actually, I'm
interested in what others have to say on the questions you posed, too.

Honestly, while the word "prescription" is what is used in the law,
etc., I find it an unfortunate choice. It may not be truly semantically
incorrect, but it does imply things from general usage that add to the
confusion on the matter of dogs needed on medical or psychological
grounds. Basically, the doctor is stating the medical need in a letter
of some sort. So I believe the point of  having the doctor say something
in writing about the patient's need is to provide some sort of frame of
reference to distinguish a legitimate need for reasonable accommodation
in a pets policy over someone who just wants a pet and thinks they can
have it no matter what the rental policy is... I don't know if that
explains it very well, but that is my impression of the reason for a
statement from the doctor. Which is called a prescription.

So naturally, there are doctors who will just write out a prescription
telling the patient this means they can take their companion animal
everywhere with them, they just have to show the ltter... So that's a
whole 'nother can of worms! Because that letter -- whatever you want to
call it -- has nothing to do with places of public accommodation! Now,
if the dog is trained to alert to a medical condition or to perform some
behavior to assist in a disabling psychiatric condition -- say, severe
PTSD -- then that's different, because the dog is trained to do work for
the person with the condition. Only I think it has to be a disability...
So there must be some sort of standards somewhere for how that is
defined. Kinda like "legal blindness." /smile/ So for me, with
progressive vision loss, one morning in January of 199, I was not
disabled. By that afternoon, I was. Nothing had changed, except that my
ophthalmologist had taken some measurements and written some numbers
that had changed since the last time, so... That morning, if I'd had a
guide specifically trained to guide the blind, I suppose I would not
have been legal taking it into the grocery store, even if it was guiding
me, because I was not determined to have a disability. That afternoon, I
could have. It's all in the numbers. /smile/

Sorry I'm too brainless to do better. Maybe tomorrow? /lol/

Tami