[nagdu] owner training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 14:11:48 UTC 2011

Matt,

Welcome to the list!  I'm Julie, one of the moderators and also an owner
trainer.  I'll try to help as best as I can.

You are probably not going to find much on the internet about how to
owner train because to the best of my knowledge there isn't much of
anything.  I'm still working on writing a book about it, but I've been
working on it for something like two years now.  *sigh*  I promise I
will get it done one of these days.  *smile*  When I first started out I
read everything I could get my hands on about guide dogs and dog
training.  With the knowledge of how guide dogs work and dog training
methods, I put them together to develop my own methods of training a
guide dog.  If you've worked two guides already you will already have a
solid idea of what you want the finished product to look like.

Here are some random thoughts in no particular order.  I need to get to
work shortly, but I'll try to elaborate later if this doesn't make sense.

Have you trained a dog before?  If not you may want to find some people
in your area who are good trainers, even though they won't know anything
about guide dogs, hopefully they will be helpful in bouncing around
ideas about training theory and methods which you will be apply to guide
dog training.

Choosing a dog to begin the process is probably the most difficult
part.  Are you planning on starting with a puppy, older puppy or adult?
Are you getting the dog from a shelter, breed rescue, breeder or a
direct rehome from a family?  Each situation has advantages and
disadvantages.  My best advice here is to make sure you get in your
contract or adoption agreement that you can return the dog in the first
month if it doesn't work out.  Temperament testing will tell you a lot
about a dog in  short time, but I think you really need to be around a
dog for a few weeks to thoroughly evaluate him or her.

Do you have good mobility shills with a cane, or someone to assist you
or some means of keeping yourself safe while you are moving about and
training the new dog?  This is super important.

Okay gotta go.  Keep asking questions I'll have loads of time this
weekend to chatter on about training! LOL  It doesn't take much to get
me going on and on and on about dog training! *smile*

Julie