[nagdu] owner training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 18:50:32 UTC 2011

Matt,

I have always started obedience training along with socialization and
house manners right away.  My last two dogs were older puppies when I
got them.  They both needed to start from the very basics, like
housebreaking and learning their name.  I think beginning training right
away is also beneficial because it doesn't let bad habits get
established.  It also provides structure, order and leadership to the
dog.  I think dogs moving from one home to another need an extra dose of
leadership, which they view as security.

A dog in the 1.5 to 2 year range will have a fully developed temperament
and personality.  With that age what you see is what you get for the
most part.  With very young puppies I think it's harder to figure out
what the adult personality will be like.  Or perhaps it's just because I
don't have as much experience with young puppies as I do with adults?

With your experience with previous dogs and your comfort with a cane,
you should have a solid foundation to begin owner training.   Like I
wrote to Cindy, owner training isn't anything extraordinary, it's just a
lot of work that requires a load of patience and perseverance.

Julie