[nagdu] holiday safety

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 16:54:00 UTC 2011

      Heya all!

I'm still here and still reading.  I thought I'd send this quick
reminder about special concerns around the holidays.  I don't think
everything on the below list is particularly applicable to  guide dogs.
I mean I'd hope by the time a dog is working as a guide that it would
have learned not to chew on electrical cords.  Still it's good info. I
took this excerpt from:
http://www.akc.org/public_education/holiday_safety.cfm

Christmas

    * Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia plants are poisonous to dogs. Make
      sure they are kept in places your dog cannot reach.
    * Do not put lights on the lower branches of your tree. They may get
      very hot and burn your dog.
    * Watch out for electrical cords. Pets often try to chew them and
      get badly shocked or electrocuted. Place them out of reach.
    * Avoid glass ornaments, which break easily and may cut a dog's feet
      or mouth.
    * Do not use edible ornaments, or cranberry or popcorn strings. Your
      dog may knock the tree over in an attempt to reach them.
    * Keep other ornaments off the lower branches; if your dog chews or
      eats an ornament, he can be made sick by the materials or paint.
    * Both live and artificial tree needles are sharp and indigestible.
      Keep your tree blocked off (with a playpen or other "fence") or in
      a room that is not accessible to your dog.
    * Tinsel can be dangerous for dogs. It may obstruct circulation and,
      if swallowed, block the intestines.
    * Keep burning candles on high tables or mantels, out of the way of
      your dog's wagging tail.
    * Review canine holiday gifts for safety. Small plastic toys or
      bones may pose choking hazards.
    * Your dog may want to investigate wrapped packages; keep them out
      of reach.

Happy Holidays!
Julie