[nagdu] holiday safety

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 03:31:28 UTC 2011

Awww... The memories of our first double dog Christmas... /rotfl/ Oh,
wait! Now I need a Xanax.

So we brought DD's new puppy home a couple of days before Thanksgiving,
so when he went to set up the tree and all the day after Thanksgiving...
We began to realize the extend of our folly! /lol/ A bit of creativity
and furniture rearrangement, and the tree is now atop the coffee table
from the living room, with presents piled around it out of puppy
range... Except that puppies grow. /lol/ Also, some puppies have a
poodle step sister to teach them how to get in trouble. Will the
presents be safe? Will the tree be safe?? News at eleven! /rotfl/ So far
so good.

Speaking of puppies... We were discussing this one this morning, and
noting what we were seeing in her temperament, and I was carrying on
about how she passed every temperament test I would use to pick and
further evaluate a guide dog prospect.

"I've been thinking about that," he said slowly...

Which naturally I have, because I'm just an owner-training addict. And
this little girl has the right stuff! Well, okay, she's not quite 12
weeks old, but she still passes those tests with flying colors.
Including the getting stepped on, etc. by a blind person who can't
figure out how much space she takes up from one day to the next any more
than the puppy can. /lol// Not a hint of aggression in that dangerous
breed of ours. Self-confidence and independence, fearlessness, but
enough sense to come to Mitzi or me or her dad if she's uncertain... And
with a poodle step sister to teach her in all things. Including,
naturally, trouble. Sigh.

So it looks like, officially, Zay is now a guide dog prospect in
training. /lol/ Like Julie said just a day or so ago. That means she's
learning good manners and basic obedience. I talk to her the same way I
talk to Mitzi, so she's picking up some of the same commands. Hm... She
ain't no poodle, that's for sure. Hard to say, but she's going to be a
kick in the pants, but not a patch on her elder step sister! And, to me,
already, pretty dang mellow. Well, Mitzi is a remarkably super mellow
poodle, but... That's all relative. /grin/

Don't know if that changes the legal situation I brought up for
discussion earlier. Sigh. There shouldn't be one, since she is
essentially DD's dog... For medical reasons. The ongoing little
irritations from the managers are having the opposite effect... In that
area, it's his to handle for his dog. Even if I do move on to guide dog
tasks with baby Zay, Mitzi is still just starting her career prime. I
wouldn't mind having a just-in-case backup, but... Who knows if Zay
would ever become a working guide? She won't be ready for another 2
years even if everything goes just swimmingly. In the meantime, she
makes DD healthier... and more active, that's for sure. And Mitzi does,
too, while still maintaining her primary function as *MY* dog and my
guide. /lol/ She was having some fun doing double duty there for a few
weeks, but... He needs his own dog. We pondered a bit over how we would
manage trading dogs, if that happens... Then it occurred to us. The dogs
trade us off all the time like we're chewed up bones. Why worry? /lol/

Tami