[nagdu] Article: Lawsuit raises questions about therapy dogs at colleges

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 21:15:56 UTC 2011

Julie,

Yeah, the intrusiveness shocked me. And I noted that, per usual with
these sorts of violations, the more the family cooperated the more they
go nowhere. So I am glad they are pursuing this matter under the federal
law.

And I noted how so many people tried to blame something for all the
confusion... Except their own bleeping ignorance! Grumble, grumble.

The confusion is about which law applies where, which has not changed
and is pretty simple and easy to understand. If knowing those laws is
part of your job and you can't figure it out, why are you getting paid?
That's what I'm confused about. /lol/ Okay, I've never popped out with
that line to someone who is claiming that it's not their fault they're
breaking the law, because the law is just so confusing... But I want to!
/lol/

So DD finished one phase of cooperating with our manager this morning.
We'll see what comes of that. He is hoping to just not hear another word
about it. I have my doubts for some reason... Sigh. We'll see. I keep
suggesting the steps to take that I have learned from all my whopping
experienced advocate friends and acquaintances. But he's a stubborn
cuss... Probably why we get along so well.

So I also find myself mulling over some other ins and outs. I was joking
about my "secret plan" to sneak some guide dog training into Zay's
future, just for fun and practice... Only, now that she's been with us
for 3 weeks or so for close up observation and all those temperament
tests life and circumstances bring... DD and I have sort of agreed that
we should plan that for real. True, there's no reason to expect that
Mitzi will be ready to hang up her harness 2 or 3 years from now... But,
since Zay passes all the tests with flying colors and has such a great
older step sister to learn from... Why not?

So naturally, we've discussed whether this changes the legal ins and
outs of his prior accommodation from Zay, who is primarily his comfort
dog for medical reasons... Honestly, as I read the law, it doesn't
change the matter of reasonable accommodation or prior accommodation one
whit. Also, can you imagine trying to get an attorney or advocate on
*that* point? Well, I've decided to train her to be a guide dog, so...
/lol/ Then again, there is a German Shepherd here -- another forbidden
breed -- and quite a large one who was theoretically being trained for a
young man with blindness in one eye... Dog's still here. Don't know
about the kid, since he was supposedly about to head off to college,
needing the dog there. Dog's still here. Nice dog, don't get me wrong,
but... Does not seem to have become a working guide that anybody has
ever discovered. /lol/

So we're doing things the right way, reasonably and all, according to
the law and reality... And we get this nonsense? /lol/ Anyway, we took
our not-quite-12-week old to the vet, who examined her in detail and
determined her to be a mutt. Also, he predicted that she would be a
medium size at her adult weight. So... I've known that since we brought
her home. She's a mutt of some sort, maybe with some heeler in her, but
who can tell, really... And she will grow up to be a mid-sized dog,
about the size of Mitzi or Daisy. But what would I know? I'm blind!

Anyway, it must be weird to read about your Alma Mater in an article
like this. /lol/

Tami