[nagdu] Doggy elimination issues: Remedies?

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Mon Dec 19 22:51:29 UTC 2011

Hello Robert,

I experienced this very same issue several times shortly after leaving The Seeing Eye with my dog Marqi (my first and current dog). I was living in Milwaukee at the time and we had a 1.5 mile walk along city sidewalks to work in the morning. Marqi normally relieved herself, both numbers 1 and 2, at the very start of our walk, but then a few times in the span of a week or two she stopped dead in her tracks in the middle of an intersection halfway through our walk. At first I thought she was stopping because of traffic or another obstacle in the street, but upon further investigation I realized she was leaving a deposit. I was very flustered and, like you, started to become hesitant and worried about possible negative consequences. I called the Seeing Eye and spoke with an instructor to discuss what might be happening. He was helpful and I remember taking away the following 3 bits of knowledge from our discussion:
1. He assured me I would eventually come to recognize when Marqi was needing to take an out-of-cycle bathroom break.
2. Due to the long walk, I would include time for an extra stop during our walk to give her another chance to go, just in case. I would also consider moving her initial bathroom break from the beginning of the walk to a spot a little further along the path.
3. I would check to make sure I was not feeding her too many treats or more food than she should be receiving.

A combination of all three of these helped get us back on track. I found that she had indeed been gaining some weight, so I trimmed back just a bit on her food and treats. I found a good spot a quarter mile into our walk and made that her new bathroom break location. I think the most important thing for me, though, was learning to really know my dog and her behaviors, the changes in her pace, her breathing, etc. Marqi will definitely pick up the pace when she needs to go, and she will tend to be a little less focussed, and sometimes she will pant heavily if things are getting really desperate. These are things that I learned as time progressed. It's been two years since those initial incidents and I'm happy to say we've not encountered this particular issue again

Best of luck,
Bryan