[nagdu] Blind man says paramedics prevented guide dog from traveling with him

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 15:48:34 UTC 2011

Hi, all,
I know some may agree or disagree with me on this, but that's fine by me.
Although all states do have laws that state that service dogs are to be
transported with their handlers, it's also up to us in regards of using
common sense when being transported via ambulance.
During the time I had to call an ambulance on myself February 23, 2007, I
immediately notified that paramedic dispatcher that I had a guide dog on
scene.
That made the situation much easier and less stressful because the
dispatcher put the information into the system directly which wirelessly
communicated with the responding paramedic vehicle in my area.
Technically, the fire department, paramedics and police department do have
Odie listed in their computer system, so they're fully aware of him.
On the other side of the flip coin however if handler were to pass out or
get hit by a car, then truth is that what are they to do then?
Another important factor for me was to get to know all the firemen,
paramedics and police officers as a whole so they could be educated not just
on blindness, but also the importance of a guide/assistance dog.
All of us do have a way of doing things and I say what works best for one
may not work for another.
Just my thoughts on this one.
*Smiles*
Bibi and Odie