[nagdu] beginning to use a cane

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 17:32:20 UTC 2011

Right on Sheila!  When I was growing up I didn't have a lot of confidence.
I went to Michigan School for the Blind.  There I was ok, but when I came
home to Kalamazoo, I sort of stood out.  Not in a good way iether!  I also
have an eyelid that has no muscle control.  It hangs down and can't be moved
naturally.  I also have 2 plastic eyes.  Until I was 10, I had 1.  Anyway, I
thaught it was the closed eyelid or the unexpressive eyes that made me
bizzarre or something!  Now, however, I have been married for almost 24
years and have 2 really great kids.  The oldest, my daughter is completing
her last year at Gallaudet University and the youngest wrestles for our
local high school.  I am still looking for a job but I have been taking care
of my wife for years.  She uses a wheelchair and is quite spunky!  The point
is that I have accuired enough confidence threw life experiences to not only
laugh at those who think that blind folks are somewher down below trailor
trash but we can accomplish great things even if noone ever cares to
accknowledge what we do!  I will never write a book, be on TV, or maybe not
even be the most vocal in our NFB affiliate!  Not as long as our current
state President is in office anyway!!  But I have accomplished much and am
proud of it!  I am beyond caring what others especially sighted folks
think!!