[nagdu] MBTA was Re: beginning to use a cane

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 22:47:46 UTC 2011

William,

I'm a poodle addict! /lol/ Once you've tried out your first one... /lol/
Mitzi poodle is a 5.5 year old owner-trained guide. I obtained her from
a private breeder in my State who listened to my babbling over the phone
about what I wanted in a companion dog in light of my plan to get a
guide dog at some time in the future, and with such an attentive
audience, I went on to blurt out that if the companion dog turned out to
have the right stuff, I would just train it to guide myself....

"I have exactly the right dog for you," she interrupted.

She was right. Instead of the large red male we had been discussing, I
took the small black female she recommended. She, it turned out, had
donated a couple of pups to a west coast guide dog training program
getting a poodle line going, so she knew the temperament tests and what
to look for in a guide dog prospect. Mitzi had the right stuff! And then
some. The breeder has since donated some breeding dogs of related lines
to that same guide dog program, and when I meet a poodle or doodle guide
from there I always wonder if we should call it 'cuz. /lol/

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. My plan for Mitzi's
retirement replacement is either poodle or dobie, and I definitely want
to owner train again. The mutt [puppy who chose my partner (DD for
Daisy's dad from his still much missed coonhound) and which he chose at
the same instant keeps demonstrating that she has the right stuff, so...
We've started just adding those little extras with a view that I will
train her to guide for the next two years or so, just in case Mitzi
decides to hang up her harness before I plan for her to. /smile/ So at
least now I know what I will be doing for fun and entertainment in my
spare time for the next two years. Of course, with such an excellent
professional older sister to learn from, Zay has a much better chance of
success than Mitzi did with a first time guide dog user as a trainer,
whom she then had to train to be a respectable handler right at the
start of her own career. /lol/ And so, the adventure continues.

Tami